The Projects tab contains all information related to all Legal Hold projects. In this tab, you can create, review, update, and close projects.
This page contains the following information:
See these related pages:
Projects landing page
Understand Legal Hold projects with custom layouts, project views, and project dashboards. Create, update, or delete any layout, view, or dashboard at any time. These features display projects, project status, and the project health.
Using the new user interface, Legal Hold now has default dashboards that help visualize project status and ownership.
(click to expand image)
The following fields are also available for use to create other customizable dashboards in Legal Hold:
- External Counsel
- General Counsel
- Project Attachments
- Project Close Date
- Project Owner
- Project Start Date
- Project Status
- Subject Matter End Date
- Subject Matter Start Date
- Template::Project Status
- Use as Template
|Attachments||Communication Attachments::Acknowledgement Required|
|Entity||Document numbering prefix|
|Entity||Employment End Date|
|Entity||Employment Start Date|
|Entity Role||Communications::Acknowledgement Required|
|Entity Role||Communications::Communication Type|
|Entity Role||Communications::Response Due Date|
|Entity Role||Project::Project Status|
|Entity Role||Release Date|
|Entity Status||Acknowledgement Required|
|Entity Status||Resolved By|
|Entity Status||Escalations Sent|
|Entity Status||Reminders Sent|
|Project||Use As Template|
|Questionnaire Question||Send Communication::Acknowledgement Required|
|Questionnaire Question||Alert Communication::Acknowledgement Required|
|Questionnaire Response||Communication::Acknowledgement Required|
Legal Hold layouts
Legal Hold layouts are web-based coding forms that give you the ability to view and edit document fields. You can use layouts to develop workflows specific to the needs of your case. You can develop layouts that contain only the fields required to complete specific legal hold tasks, making the legal hold process clean and intuitive.
Creating a custom layout
Create a custom layout to view the important project information. Add custom fields and re-arrange the organization to meet your project needs.
To create a custom layout:
- From the Workspace Admin > Layouts sub-tab, filter using the Project object type.
- Select the Detail layout.
- From the Layout console, click Build Layout.
- Edit fields and categories, add custom fields, and re-arrange the layout to your specification.
See Layouts in the Relativity documentation site.
- Click Save and Close when finished.
- Click Edit.
- From the Name field, re-name your layout.
- From the Order field enter -1 to ensure that Legal Hold uses the new layout as the default layout.
- Click Save.
Use project views to filter specific legal hold projects. Based these views on a set of specified criteria to display legal hold information in an organized fashion to understand projects better. A legal hold view organizes items displayed on the list, based on a set of criteria, displays fields of information displayed for the returned items, and sorts the order of the returned items.
To view a specific project view, select a view from the drop-down menu.
Creating or editing a project view
- Click to edit or to add a view, and make appropriate updates to any fields.
See Views in the Relativity documentation site.
- When finished, click Save.
The Project Response Level (PRL) aggregates the number of communications sent and the number of responses. A percentage on the number of responsive custodians to the number of communications is created. The PRL percentage is then compared to the set PRL thresholds. As the PRL meets a custom thresholds, the PRL status icon changes between red, yellow, green. The thresholds are set in Legal Hold settings. To learn how to set the PRL Thresholds, see Hold Admin .
When communications are created in the project, but not sent, the PRL icon is blank. The PRL isn't activated until a communication is sent.
The Project Details page appears once you create a project in Legal Hold. Access the project details by clicking the project from the Projects landing page.
From here, you can view all details related to that project.
- Project Details - see Projects.
- Communications tab - lists the communications associated with the project. Use the column filters to sort information and click on an item to view its details. See Projects.
- Custodians tab - lists all of the custodians assigned to the project. Use the column filters to sort information and click on an item to view its details.
- Mailbox tab - lists all of the sent and received emails from communications for this project. Use the column filters to sort information and click on an item to view its details. See Projects.
- Preservation Hold tab - lists the custodians in Exchange and OneDrive that are currently on a preservation hold. It also lists the custodian targets in SharePoint that are on hold. Use the column filters to sort information and click on an item to view its details. See Projects.
- Preservation Targets tab - lists the status for each discovery of SharePoint targets that each custodian has access to. For more information on the targets, see Projects.
Use the Project console to take an action related to that project and its assigned custodians. Buttons are shaded gray when the action is unavailable or may not appear at all, depending on your permissions. See Projects.
- Assign - select a custodian to add to the current legal hold project. See Projects.
- Change Role - select one of the legal hold roles and assign it to a custodian. See Changing a custodian's role.
- Release - select a custodian and end their hold obligations in the current project. You must have a release communication created in order to release a custodian if you have previously sent them a communication from Legal Hold. See Releasing a custodian from the project console.
- Remove - select a custodian to end their hold obligations and remove all record of their details from a specified project. See Removing a custodian from the project console.
Manage Preservation Targets
- Discover Targets - manually start the preservation target discovery process for the project's custodians. Can use to re-try errors.
- Select Targets - select Custodian's targets (SharePoint site) to be placed on a preservation hold. Access to the button allowed when 1 custodian discovery status is complete.
- Create Communication - create a communication. See Projects.
- Project Reminder - send periodic reminders to all active, on-hold custodians to review their hold obligations on a specific project.
- Close Project - close a project. See Projects.
Reports - run a project-specific report from this section. The report appears inline. See Report types for more information about each report. Note that you may not be able to view all reports depending on your permissions.
Running the Question Responses report
If you run the Question Responses report from the Project or Communication console, you must manually clear the applied search condition by clicking the magnifying glass icon after Legal Hold reroutes you to the Question Responses tab. This is the only way to view other responses not related to a specified project, especially when navigating back to the Question Responses tab later in your browsing session.
You can change a custodian's role on a project at any time. For information on each roles, see Roles.
To change a custodian's role:
- From the Project console, click Change Role.
- Select the checkbox next to a custodian(s).
- From the Assign Role drop-down menu, select a new role for the custodian(s).
- Click Select.
- Click Change Role.
Note: A warning will appear when changing a custodian's role from a preservation role to a non-preservation role. Select Yes to remove the custodian from the preservation hold or No to continue with the custodian's preservation hold. When a custodian is removed from a preservation hold, the custodian's data in Office 365 is no longer preserved.
You can release a custodian from a project at any time. Releasing means that this person is no longer an active participant in the project but they will still appear in any reports associated with the project in a Released status. This allows for a record of their involvement to remain in the application. If the custodian is on a preservation hold and is released from the project, no changes will be made to the hold itself.
The following must be true in order to release a custodian from a project:
- A release notice exists.
To release a custodian:
- From the Project console, click Release.
- Select one of the following options:
- Release: with Communication - if there are multiple release notices on the project, select a release notice from the drop-down list.
- Release: Silently - release a custodian silently. This means that the custodian won't receive a release notice. You can silently release a custodian even if they aren't a Silent Custodian. See Roles.
- Click Release.
- From the Item picker, select a custodian(s).
- Click Select.
- Click Release. If you're not releasing a custodian silently, Legal Hold sends the release notice and releases the custodian from the project. If the custodian is a Silent Custodian or if you've just released a custodian silently, that custodian won't receive a release notice from Legal Hold notifying that they were released from the project. See Hold Admin . If the Send Releases Notices for Legacy Projects is set to Yes, the custodian does not need any prior communication to be released.
Note: Releasing a custodian that is on a Preservation Hold will not remove the Preservation Hold from Office 365.
You can remove a custodian from a project at any time. Removing means that this person is longer an active participant in the project and won't appear in any reports. A custodian cannot be removed if they have Custodian Interactions redirected to them from another custodian that has their Custodian Interaction level set to Redirect. For more information on redirecting communications, see Custodian Interaction level
Note: We don't recommend removing a custodian for auditing purposes. Only remove someone if they were added to a project by mistake.
To remove a custodian:
- From the Custodian console, click Remove.
- Select a custodian(s).
- Click Select (#).
- Click Remove.
- Verify that you want to remove the custodian from all selected projects or only from projects where they are already released.
Note: Custodians currently on a Preservation Hold cannot be deleted. In order for a custodian to be removed, the custodian cannot be on a preservation hold. To remove the custodian, change the role of the custodian from a preservation role to another role. For more information, see Changing a custodian's role.
Sending a project reminder from the project console
Use the Project Reminder functionality to send periodic reminders to all active, on-hold custodians to review their hold obligations on a specific project.