A Preservation Hold preserves files and emails in an custodian's Microsoft 365 account (OneDrive and Exchange)
Note: A custodian can be active in multiple projects and can be on multiple preservation holds. If one preservation hold is removed, another could still be in place. When a preservation hold is removed in Relativity, only that one preservation hold is removed in Security & Compliance Center.
Enable the Preservation Hold Settings security permission in order to create a Preservation Hold Setting. For more information on security permissions, see Legal Hold Application Permissions.
Before creating a Preservation Hold, add a Preservation Hold Setting. Fill out the information for the Preservation Hold Setting to create a data source in which preservation holds will be created. To learn more about Preservation Hold Settings, see Hold Admin tab.
Adding a preservation hold to a project
In the Projects edit layout, there is a Preservation Case field. Enter the created Preservation Hold Setting to the Preservation Case. To create a Preservation Case, follow the steps below
- Click the Add link next to Preservation Case.
- Enter a name into the Preservation Case Name field in the Preservation Case pop-up menu. For more information, see Adding a Preservation Case.
- Click the Preservation Sources button.
- In the Preservation Sources pop-up menu, click the check boxes next to the necessary Preservation Hold Settings.
- Click Add.
- Click Save.
- Fill out rest of the Preservation Case fields. For more information on the Preservation Case fields, see Adding a Preservation Case.
- Click Save.
Add a Preservation Case to the project to specify the data sources for the preservation holds.
- Name - the name of the Preservation Case.
- Preservation Source - the data sources created in Preservation Hold Settings for the Preservation Hold. For more information on Preservation Hold Settings, see Hold Admin tab.
- Retry Count - the number of times Legal Hold will retry to correct a failed Preservation Hold process.
- Retry Interval (Minutes) - the number of minutes between each retry.
- Monitoring Interval (Hours) - the number of hours between each time Legal Hold monitors Microsoft 365 for deletions/disabling or edits to filter criteria made within Microsoft 365 Security & Compliance Center. Default is 1 hour.
- Start Date - (optional) a preservation filter criteria that preserves data starting with this date.
- End Date - (optional) a preservation filter criteria that preserves data ending with this date.
- Auto-discover target - option to catalog all accessible sites in Sharepoint. If not enabled, the target discovery process can be manually started later in the process.
- Re-discover wait window (hours) - the number of hours between each the next discovery process.
Preservation Hold status
After running a preservation hold, a status of the hold available in the Preservation Hold section on the Projects tab. Any changes made to the preservation is reflected within an hour. For a list of the statuses available, see below:
- Pending - Relativity is creating the preservation hold in Microsoft 365.
- Pending - Retry - Relativity encountered a problem creating the hold, now retrying.
- Pending - Error - All retries failed and Relativity is unable to create the preservation hold.
- On Hold - Relativity successfully placed the custodian data source on a preservation hold.
- Releasing - Relativity is in the process of deleting or disabling the hold in Microsoft 365.
- Releasing - Retry - Relativity encountered a problem deleting or disabling the hold and is retrying to create the preservation hold.
- Releasing - Error - All retries failed and Relativity is unable to delete or disable the preservation hold.
- Off Hold - The custodian data source is no longer on a preservation hold.
- Externally Modified - A user or some process outside of Relativity altered the filter criteria affecting the case or holds. (e.g. User in Security & Compliance Center).
- Externally Removed - A user or some process outside of Relativity deleted or disabled the preservation hold (e.g. User in Security & Compliance Center).
The Preservation Target Status tab shares the progress of the target discovery for each custodian. The discovery process is the inventorying of the sites each custodian has access to. This status indicates where in the discovery process the targets are. The statuses are:
- Scheduled To Be Discovered - the preservation targets will be discovered after other targets have completed.
- Discovered - the preservation targets have been discovered.
- Error - the preservation targets have not been discovered due to an error. For information on fixing preservation target errors, click the Discover Targets button in the Project Console. For information, see Preservation hold.