Express Transfer is an integral part of Import/Export workflows and can be activated for use with Import/Export to help reduce the time and effort it takes to transfer data. It's an installed desktop application that is designed to be used for all import and export workflows, especially for large structured and unstructured data files greater than 20 GB. The application is available for Microsoft Windows and Apple MacOS operating systems.
To ensure that you always have the most recent version of Express Transfer, it's configured to automatically update with each new version. However, you can change this setting if desired. See Installing and updating Express Transfer desktop application for more information.
To use Import/Export with Express Transfer, the following must be installed in this order:
- Import/Export application must be installed in the workspace from the Application Library.
See Installing Import/Export for more information
- Express Transfer desktop application must be installed on your computer.
See Installing Express Transfer for more information
- Express Transfer must be activated.
See Activating Express Transfer for more information
We recommend using Import/Export with Express Transfer activated whenever possible for all importing and exporting workflows, and particularly when:
- data file size is greater than 20 GB.
- processing multiple import jobs. The jobs will be queued and executed when the previous job is complete.
- slow or unstable network connection. Express Transfers enables you to retry the upload.
Use Import/Export without activating Express Transfer when:
- your company policy prohibits installing desktop applications.
- your network configuration does not allow third party applications to send or receive data, such as proxy settings.
- data file size is less than 20 GB.
- data is in ZIP files.
Note: You need to use Express Transfer to upload and process encrypted materials, such as password-protected zip files or Case files (L01/N01) that require Password Bank functionality. If you cannot use Express Transfer for such imports, zip your encrypted materials in a single unencrypted ZIP container (the 20 GB limit for the zip file size applies). Import/Export will transfer and extract the top-level zip file, preparing your encrypted materials for Processing. Then, Processing will utilize Password Bank to decrypt materials.
Express Transfer supports the following file types:
ZIP and PST files—for transferring data to the server-side.
Native files for processing—see the list of supported file types for processing.
Document Load File import—.dat, .csv and .txt load files.
Image Load File import—Opticon-formatted page-level files. Formats supported: single page TIFF (Group IV) files, single page JPG files, and single and multiple PDF files.
Note: RelativityOne allows users to restrict given file types from being imported into their instances with the RestrictedFileTypes instance setting. Import/Export reads and applies this instance setting when importing materials into RelativityOne, therefore, all file types listed as restricted file types will be skipped.