The Express Transfer application must be installed on your computer in order to use it with Import/Export workflows. The instructions below can be used for both Microsoft Windows and Apple MacOS installations. You can configure preferences to automatically check for new software versions or you can check for them manually.
Refer to the sections below for the necessary requirements for Express Transfer.
To use Express Transfer, your computer must meet the following minimum system requirements:
|Operating system||MS Windows 10, MS Windows 11, or Apple MacOS|
|Server operating system||Windows Server 2019|
|System memory||4 GB RAM, recommended 8 GB RAM|
Express Transfer requires TCP port 443 to be open to transfer data. For further assistance, please contact your IT Department. Also refer to the
To use Import/Export with Express Transfer, the following must be installed in this order:
- Import/Export application must be installed in the workspace from the Application Library.
See Installing Import/Export for more information
- Express Transfer desktop application must be installed on your computer.
See Installing Express Transfer below for more information
- Express Transfer must be activated.
See Activating Express Transfer for more information
To install the Express Transfer application on your computer for use with Import/Export:
Navigate to the Import/Export Job page.
Click the New Import/Export Job button.
Depending on the operating system used, click the Windows or MacOS button to download the installer file.
Note: For MacOS systems, you need to have administrative privileges to use and install the software, as well as to receive automatic software updates. On the Installer dialog, enter your user name and password, then click Install Software.
Navigate to the folder on your computer where the installer file was downloaded. Depending on the operation system, double-click one of the following files to begin the installation process:
- For Windows OS: Express Transfer Setup.exe
- For Mac OS: Express Transfer Setup.pkg
Click one of the options on the Select Setup Install Mode dialog:
Install for me only (recommended)—enables Express Transfer to be used by your account only.
Install for all users—enables Express Transfer to be used by anyone who logs on to this computer. You will need Admin credentials to select this option.
Use the default destination folder already displayed or click Browse to select a different location for the Express Transfer application.
(Optional) On the Select Additional Tasks dialog, do any of the following:
- Autostart Express Transfer on system startup—select this check box to automatically launch the Express Transfer application each time your computer starts. Leave it blank if you want to manually launch Express Transfer when you want to use it.
- Create a desktop shortcut—select this checkbox to create a shortcut icon on your desktop for Express Transfer. Otherwise, leave it blank.
Click Install on the Ready to Install dialog to begin the installation process.
When the installation is complete, click Finish to close the installation wizard. Express Transfer is now installed and ready to use.
If you selected the Run Express Transfer checkbox on the finish setup dialog of the wizard, the Express Transfer application will open and its icon will be available in the system tray. Right-click on the icon to display an application menu with these options:
- Connectivity check—choose this option to check if Express Transfer is successfully accessing the Internet and the Import/Export application. See Express Transfer Connectivity check for more information.
- Show logs—choose this option if instructed to do so by Relativity Support to investigate or troubleshoot an issue with Express Transfer transaction logs and text files. File explorer will open the logs folder on your local drive (for example, C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Express Transfer\logs). With Express Transfer open, you can also press F8 to display the logs folder.
- Check for Updates—choose this option if you want to manually check to see if your version is up-to-date or if a new version of Express Transfer is available. See Manually checking for software updates for more information.
- Preferences—choose this option to modify the application settings. You can also view the software version number from this dialog.
- Quit—choose this option to completely exit the Express Transfer application. The Express Transfer icon will no longer display in the system tray. To reopen Express Transfer, double-click on its desktop shortcut, if you saved one for it, or select it from your computer's list of programs.
The Express Transfer version number is displayed at the bottom of the In Progress and History tabs within the application.
You can configure whether or not you want the system to automatically check for new software versions of Express Transfer each time it opens and notify you with a message box. By default, this feature is enabled in Express Transfer Preferences. We recommend that you keep it enabled to ensure your system is running the latest software version.
To access Express Transfer Preferences:
- Click Preferences.
- By default, the Check for updates checkbox is selected. If you do not want the system to automatically check for updates and notify you, clear the checkbox.
- Click Save after updating the checkbox.
- To apply any changes made, quit the Express Transfer application by right-clicking on the Express Transfer icon in your system tray and clicking Quit.
- Then, reopen the application by double-clicking on its desktop shortcut, if you saved one for it, or select it from your computer's list of programs.
Whenever a new version is available, you'll be notified with an Application update dialog displaying the new version number available and release notes for it. Click Update now to install the new version, and then follow the Installing Express Transfer steps to finish installing the update.
You can check for software updates anytime by right-clicking on the Express Transfer icon in your system tray and clicking Check for Updates. If your software version is current, a message displays letting you know it's up-to-date.
If a new version is available, the Application update window displays the new version number available and release notes for it. Click Update now to install the new version, and then follow the Installing Express Transfer steps to finish installing the update.