Installing Legal Hold
To use Relativity Legal Hold, you need to install the following Relativity applications:
- Relativity Legal Hold - install this application to one or multiple workspaces.
- Portal - you only need to install this application to one workspace. Once installed, the Portal creates prerequisites and global custom pages used by the Legal Hold application in other workspaces with Legal Hold installed.
For more information on pre-requisites, technical requirements, and other considerations, see the links below.
For customers who are using Relativity Legal Hold to manage their own legal holds, it is recommended to install the program to one workspace. This allows for the consolidation of reporting and monitoring custodian interactions across all the organization’s legal holds. If you are installing Relativity Legal Hold to take advantage of the communications and acknowledgments feature, it is recommended to put this in a workspace separate from your legal hold workspace. If you offer Relativity Legal Hold as a service for you clients, it is recommended to separate the workspaces per client.
Use the following procedures to install Legal Hold:
- Install Legal Hold and the Portal applications from either the Application Library or an external file. See Installing Legal Hold.
- Add the Legal Hold Agent. See Adding the Legal Hold agent.
- Configure Legal Hold. See Accessing and configuring Legal Hold.
This page contains the following information:
For a Legal Hold-only installation, the Relativity Base Template is recommended as the following features are not required:
- Analytics server setup
- Database server for processing or native imaging
- Worker server for processing or native imaging
- Obtaining applications for native imaging and processing
Since Legal Hold uses the ADS framework, you have the following options available for installing Legal Hold and the Portal in your environment:
Note: Remember that you only need to install the Portal application to one workspace in your environment.
Install Legal Hold from the Application Library
If you add the Legal Hold application and the Portal application to the Application Library, you can install them to the current workspace from the Application Library.
- Navigate to the workspace where you want to install the application.
- Navigate to the Relativity Applications tab.
- Click New Relativity Application to display an application form.
- Click the Select from Application Library radio button in the Application Type section.
- Click in the Choose from Application Library field.
- Select Relativity Legal Hold on the Select Library Application dialog. This dialog only displays applications added to the Application Library. If Relativity Legal Hold is not included in the list, .
- Click Ok to display the application in the Choose from Application Library field. The application form also displays the following fields:
- Version - displays the version of the application that you are installing.
- User-friendly URL - displays a user-friendly version of the application's URL. This field may be blank.
- Application Artifacts - displays object types and other application components.
- Map Fields - There are no fields available in Relativity Legal Hold for mapping.
- Click Import to install Legal Hold into the workspace.
- Review the import status of the application. Verify that the install was successful or resolve errors.
See Viewing import status and Troubleshooting application installation errors.
After you install Legal Hold, add the Relativity Legal Hold Agent by going to the Agents tab in the Admin level and clicking New Agent. Add at least one Legal Hold agent and one Legal Hold Preservation agent, if using preservation holds, per environment. Add more as needed.
Verify the Enable column displays Yes for the Relativity Legal Hold Agent.
|Agent name||Requirement information||Function||Agent type|
|Relativity Legal Hold Agent||At least one per environment. Note: You can add more agents to allow simultaneous jobs to run. You may also need more agents if you frequently multitask several Legal Hold actions at once (project deletions, send emails).||Sends emails (including reminder and escalation), pulls emails in from custodian responses and purges custodians from a project.||Multiple-installation|
|Relativity Legal Hold Preservation Agent||At least one per environment. Note: If multiple preservations are to be created, create more than one preservation agent.||
Performs all Microsoft 365 Preservation-related work.
The agent creates an Microsoft 365 eDiscovery Case, holds and assigns mailboxes and OneDrive URLs of corresponding Custodians. The agent job removes corresponding Custodians from Micsofot 365 Hold.
Agent job deletes corresponding Microsoft 365 Case when Project is closed.
Agent job collects information about existing legal hold and Microsoft 365 holds and updates state and property information in Legal Hold.
Agent job sends alert per settings if any modifications found on Microsoft 365 site which does not correspond to Relativity Legal Hold settings.
Agent job sends emails per settings if Custodian is placed/removed on/off Hold.
Agent job for preservation in place manager is created on application install or upgrade and refreshed when Preservation Case Environment RDO is saved to update Agent run interval.
Once you've installed Legal Hold and the Portal, you should see the following Legal Hold application tabs in your workspace:
Note: Legal Hold includes all tabs available with a base Relativity install.
- Legal Hold
- Question Responses
- Project Reminder
- Custodian Status Dashboard
- Scheduled Reports
- Legal Hold Admin (Relativity tab)
- Legal Hold Settings
- Global Reminder
- Custodian Portal Authentication Provider
- Item Selectors
Legal Hold ships with a default template entitled, Legal Hold Template in the Projects tab. You can create a new project from scratch or use this template to customize your new project.
When creating a project from a template, the following items carry over:
- Project details - this includes all of the Project response level fields.
- Associated communications with details - the template includes the following communications:
- Acknowledge Email Template - an example communication that includes an acknowledge email merge field inside the body of the text for a custodian to acknowledge the legal hold without further navigation.
- Alert Notice Template - an example communication that notifies anyone in the Alert Group that a custodian might have potential involvement in a legal hold or matter.
- Legal Hold Notice Template - an example communication that notifies custodians of an anticipated (or actual) legal hold and contains a link to the custodian portal where the custodian can acknowledge their participation in the hold or that they've received the notice.
- Legal Hold Release Notice - an example communication that notifies on-hold custodians that they have been released from the hold or project.
- Associated questionnaires - the Legal Hold Notice Template communication contains the Legal Hold Questionnaire Template questionnaire that ships with the template. This questionnaire contains typical questions that a company might want to collect information from a custodian, such as whether they had prior knowledge of the hold, or if they have access to electronic documents that may pertain to the hold.
Note: Legal Hold preserves item-level security on the above items for the new project, including communication(s) and questionnaire(s). See Installing Legal Hold.
Note: In order for a user to create a project from a template they must have edit rights on the project object.
Configuring Legal Hold
Before configuring Legal Hold, gather your SMTP information.
To configure Legal Hold, access the Legal Hold Settings tab. For more information, see Legal Hold Settings.
As a best practice, you should confirm that your Legal Hold application is functioning properly after an initial installation or an upgrade. We provide step-by-step instructions in
Click here or the following image to download the Relativity Legal Hold Post-Installation Verification Test document.