Legal Hold custodians
The Entity object, known as Custodians in Legal Hold, are all individuals involved in projects or holds as a custodian, data steward, or alert group member. The Entity object is shared between these applications: Analytics, Case Dynamic, Collect, Legal Hold, and Processing. For more information,
There are several ways to add entities to Legal Hold:
- Manually create an entity from the Entities tab.
- Load and sync entities via Integration Points.
See Integration Points.
- Load entities via the Relativity Desktop Client.
See Relativity Desktop Client.
Once you add an entity to Legal Hold, you can assign to a Legal Hold project as a custodian. See Projects.
This page contains the following sections:
- Adding a custodian
- Adding entities via the Relativity Desktop Client
- Custodian details
- Deleting an entity
- Custodian status dashboard
See these related pages:
Create entities to add to Legal Hold as custodians. Creating entities can be done with different methods, at different times. If an entity needs to be added, you can add entities from the Entities tab.
Note: When creating an entity from Legal Hold, the Entities - Legal Hold View is selected by default. If Collection or Processing is also installed in the same workspace, you can view the Entities - Processing View or Entities - Collection View accordingly.
For more information on creating an entity object,
The Custodian details page appears once you create an entity in Legal Hold. Once an entity is added to Legal Hold, it is considered a custodian. From here, you can view all details related to that entity across multiple projects.
Editing a custodian on a Preservation Hold
Editing a custodian's email address on a preservation hold in Relativity Legal Hold and not in Microsoft 365 can change the status of the hold. The status of the preservation hold, seen in the Projects tab, will change to Externally Removed when the monitoring is done checking Security and Compliance Center.
To change a custodian's email address after the entity is already put on a preservation hold, follow the steps for both Relativity and Microsoft 365 Security and Compliance Center.
- On the Entity's Detail page, click Edit.
- Update the email address.
- Click Save.
In Microsoft 365 Security and Compliance Center:
- On the Security and Compliance Center overview page, click the Admin tab to navigate to the Admin Center.
- Click the Users tab.
- Click Active Users.
- Select the user that matches the entity in Relativity.
- Click Edit.
- Update the email address in the Alias field.
- Click the Add button.
- Click the Set as primary button. The old email address is now the alias email address, which people can still use to email the user.
- Click Save.
The new email address is now the primary email address of the account on the preservation hold and the old email address is the secondary email address. The secondary email address is only for reference and doesn't receive communications.
Removing errors from a Preservation Hold
Editing an entity’s, or custodian's, email address in one platform and not the other, causes a disconnect between Relativity Legal Hold and Microsoft 365. When the communication between the two platforms break, an error occurs and the Preservation Hold status changes. Reconnect Relativity Legal Hold and Microsoft 365 in order to continue the custodian's preservation hold.
Updating an entity in Relativity
Changing the email address in Microsoft 365 and not changing it in Relativity, eventually causes the preservation hold status to be set to Externally Removed. Although it displays that the hold has been externally removed, the hold is not removed in Microsoft 365's Security & Compliance Center. Even though the hold is not removed, Relativity will not be able to find the hold causing the Externally Removed status. To update the entity's email address in Relativity, you will need to navigate to the Entities tab. When on the Entities page, follow the steps below:
- Click the name of the entity that was changed in Microsoft 365.
- On the Entity Details page, click Edit.
- Enter the updated email address in the Email field.
- Click Save.
If the email address is saved while the hold status is On Hold, the preservation hold will remain On Hold.
If the previous status is Externally Removed when the email address is saved, the entity will need to have their role changed to a non-preservation hold role and then back to a preservation hold role. For more information updating roles, see Hold Admin tab. Once roles have been updated, monitoring will use the new email address to detect the hold in Microsoft 365.
Updating an entity in Microsoft 365
If the change to the email address is made in Relativity, but not in Microsoft 365, the user needs to be taken off the preservation hold by changing the role. To update the entity's email address in Microsoft 365 to match the email address in Relativity Legal Hold, follow the steps below:
- On the Project Details page, click the Change Role button in the Project console.
- Click the check box next to the name of the entity.
- Click the Select button.
- Assign a new role in the Assign Role drop down menu. For more information on the types of roles, see Hold Admin tab.
- Click the Change Role button.
Once the Preservation role is removed from the entity, navigate to the Security and Compliance Center to see if the preservation hold is still active by checking to see if the data in Hold tab says 0. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Click on the .
- In the left navigation, click Search & Investigation.
- Click eDiscovery.
- Locate the case name that the entity belongs to and click Open.
- Click the Hold tab to view the amount of data.
After checking the status of the Hold, continue in Microsoft 365 to update the entity's email address:
- In Security and Compliance Center, click .
- In the left hand navigation, click Users.
- Click Active Users.
- Click the name of the entity with the changed email address.
- Click Edit next to the email address.
- Enter the updated email address in the Alias field.
- Click Add and click Set as primary.
- Click Save.
- In Relativity Legal Hold, assign the same entity, with the new email address, to the Preservation Hold role.
When creating or editing an entity, there is a Custodian Interaction level that can be set. You can find this setting within the Other tab. Custodians have three different interaction levels: Full, None, Redirect. For more information,
- Full - the entity receives standard communication functionality. This is the default behavior.
- None - the entity no longer receives communications. Entities set to None do not appear in the Communication Summary report or the Open Tasks report and have N/A in the responded field on Entity reports. If an entity sends a message to an admin, the admin can respond to the entity.
- Redirect - the entity communications are redirected to a Redirect Recipient, another entity, to act on behalf of the original entity. If a redirect recipient is acting on behalf of another entity, the information can be found in the database.
- Notes: If an entity is selected to receive redirected communications, they then cannot be removed from Legal Hold nor set to None.
For more information, see Entity object.
You can add multiple entities to Legal Hold by uploading a .CSV or .DAT file via the Relativity Desktop Client. For more information,
Use the Entity console to take an action related to that entity and run reports specific to that entity across multiple projects. Buttons are shaded gray when the action is unavailable or may not appear if you don't have the correct permissions. See Projects.
For more information,
You can delete individual entities, or multiple entities at once from Legal Hold, and any project to which they may be assigned. An entity cannot be deleted if they have communications redirected to them. For more information, see Custodian Interaction level
To delete an entity:
- From the Entity list, locate the entity.
- Select the checkbox next to the entity that you want to delete.
- From the actions menu at the bottom, select Delete from the second drop-down list.
- Click Go.
- Click Delete.
Note: Deleting an entity removes the custodian entirely from Legal Hold, as if they never existed. For example, if they were designated as a custodian's manager, they will no longer appear as the custodian's manager. If you just want to remove the custodian from the project without deleting their data, see Removing a custodian from the project console.
Deleting a custodian on a preservation hold
To delete a custodian on a preservation hold, the custodian first needs to be removed from all preservation holds in all projects. To remove an custodian from a preservation hold in a project, change the custodian's role to a non-preservation hold role. For a list of roles and how to change a custodian's role, see Hold Admin tab.
Note: Attempting to delete a custodian on a preservation hold is not permitted.
To locate projects the custodian has a preservation hold on, navigate to the Project console and run the Active Preservation Holds report. For more information on running the Active Preservation Holds report, see the Active Preservation Holds Report. You can also learn which custodians are on a preservation hold by using the Custodian Status Dashboard. For more information, see the Custodian status dashboard. Once the projects are returned, consult with others to verify their ability for the preservation hold to be removed in the specific project. For more information on deleting an entity, see Deleting an entity.
Create custom custodian dashboards to view the status the custodians, the number of acknowledgements, and the overall health of your projects.
Navigate to the Custodian status dashboard in the Legal Hold tab to create and manage custodian-based dashboards. Create and save dashboards for different views of Legal Hold projects.
- custodians assigned to legal holds.
- custodians responding to legal hold notices.
- projects with pending acknowledgements.
Use the widget and data table to locate active projects and view the acknowledgement response levels. Click on any of the data points within the widget, which automatically update in response, to focus the research. Once the custodians are located, you can then see how the custodians are responding to the hold communications.
Use the table to locate custodians and determine if they are on a hold and if they have acknowledged the hold. Within the data table, sort and filter data using the column headers. Click on the column headers to sort the data and use the different filter types in each column. Changes are also reflected in the widget.