On the History tab, you can view the actions of users throughout the workspace. Relativity has a comprehensive audit system that logs actions that users perform, object types, timestamps, and other details. This tab also includes views and filters to help you navigate through the audit records.
This page contains the following sections:
You’re a system admin and you recently had to let one of your reviewers go after it was discovered that he'd insufficiently redacted sensitive information contained in a large group of documents right before you were planning to produce those documents and send them to the presiding judge. In addition to going back and correctly applying that reviewer's redactions, you need to look up all the other places in the workspace in which he might have incorrectly coded documents or, in general, entered inaccurate information.
To find all areas in the workspace that this reviewer touched, you navigate to the Administration tab, then to the History tab. Since he'd been working on this project for at least a month, you change the view from its default of Document Updates - Last 7 Days to All History. Then you simply filter the User Name field and select the name of the reviewer.
When the results come back, you notice that this reviewer was particularly active and that there are over 1,000 user actions attached to his name. To ensure that none of these actions compromised any other segment of the review project or skewed information intended to be used as evidence, you need to review each one. To help in this effort, you enlist two of your more reliable reviewers to go through this list of History items and check the departed reviewer's clicks.
You can customize the views available on the History tab or create new views as necessary. The History tab includes pre-configured views for recently updated documents, long running queries, and imaging history, which you can modify.
The following fields are available in views on this tab:
- Action - the user activity captured in the audit record.
- Artifact ID - the artifact ID of the audit action.
- Details - the detailed description of the audit action.
- Execution time - the length of time in milliseconds for a document query to run.
- ID - the identifier for the audited item; each tracked action has its own unique identifier.
- Name - the name of the object.
- Object type - the type of object.
- Request origination - the connection details for the user that sent the change request.
- Timestamp - the date and time when the audit action occurred.
- User name - the user who initiated the action.
You can export the contents of a view to Excel using at the top of the screen. Only the currently-loaded records are included in the Excel file. For example, in the following workspace, only 1,000 records would be included instead of the full 2,501 records.
Some features' history views are more detailed.
- For more information on saved search history, see Saved search history.
On the History tab, you can search for specific audit records by using filters just as you would on other tabs.
You can also search for choice values using the Details Filter. Actions related to field choices are recorded using Artifact ID. To display the Artifact ID for choice values, click the Choice Legend icon in the view bar.
On the Choice Legend pop-up, you can search for choices in the workspace, their artifact IDs, and their associated fields. You can then enter Artifact ID listed for a choice value in the Details Filter and filter the audit records. For example, you would use the Artifact ID 2881180 to filter on the Issue choice "Responsive."
Note: You can also use views to filter audit records. See History view fields.
The following table lists audited actions in Relativity:
Note: If you perform a job while previewing a user's security settings, the audit action will be credited to your username and not to the user whose security you were previewing when you started the job.
Note: No login action exists when you access a workspace. Relativity interprets the login based on any other auditable action in the workspace. For example, if you view a document in Workspace A, Relativity audits that view action on the History tab and indicates that a user accessed Workspace A.
You can export a history list view as a .CSV file using the following steps:
Note: When Audit is installed, you can't export from the History tab.
- Navigate to the History tab.
- Select the history objects you would to export.
- Click Export to File.
- A pop-up appears. Select values for the fields:
- Format - select comma Separated Values (.csv), which creates a comma delimited text file.
- Encoding - select the desired encoding for the output file.
- Escape Formulas - select yes or no. When you select yes, any line starts with the following special characters: =,@,+,-, or if the line starts with any combination of spaces before those characters, Relativity prepends a single quote to the line.
- Click Run to export the file or Cancel to cancel the export.