Skip functionality accounts for changes to document criteria. These changes result from propagation to family and duplicate documents as well as the actions of other users in the workspace. See Applying propagation to documents.
The following diagram illustrates basic skip functionality.
Using document skip
Imagine you’re a first-pass reviewer on a set of one million documents. Second-pass reviewers want you to include all family and duplicate documents that you code as Responsive in their document set. You could code the one million documents one by one, or you could use Relativity’s document skip feature to code related documents as you make coding decisions.
Your system admin enables document skip, and as you code the first document “Responsive”, the system also codes its two child documents “Responsive”. When you click next, Relativity skips the two child documents and moves to the next non-family document. Your coding time is cut in more than half because you end up reviewing only 20,000 documents instead of one million.
See this related recipe:
On the user details page, a system admin can set the skip permissions for a user. Under user information, system admins can select the following document skip options:
- Disabled - disables document skip
- Force Enabled - forces a user to have skip enabled
- Enabled - a user to set up their own skip mode
If they have document skip enabled, users can change their own skip default preference setting under My Settings:
- Normal - disables document skip by default
- Skip - enables document skip by default
See Users for more information.
When skip is enabled, the skip drop-down menu appears when you browse the results of a view and a saved search.
If you're coding a set of documents for responsiveness, document skip can improve review efficiency if:
- You've enabled propagation to family and duplicates for responsiveness, and/or
- You're working with other reviewers to code the documents
To use document skip during the review process:
- View a subset of documents in your workspace that meet certain criteria, such as Responsive field is not set.
Note: Either create or select an existing view or saved search.
- Be sure that the skip drop-down menu is set to Skip. If this menu is hidden, then you probably don't have skip enabled. See Enabling document skip.
- Code the document as Responsive/Non-Responsive. If propagation is enabled, its attachments and duplicates are also coded Responsive/Non-Responsive.
- Click Save & Next to load the document that meets the criteria.
Relativity skips family, duplicates, and other documents that no longer meet the criteria of the view. If you click Save & Next and none of the documents remaining in the queue still meet the conditions, you receive a message.
To leave document skip mode, take one of the following actions in the layouts pane.
- Set the skip drop-down menu to Normal.
- Click Save.
- Click Cancel.
- Click any of the document navigator arrows.
Note: You can change your document skip indicator between documents. If you leave the document review session and later return, the skip indicator returns to your default.