A custodian target is the combination of data sources and custodians. A custodian target is the account or store of data specific to a given custodian that will be collected. An example would be a custodian's mailbox, with the identifying target information being the custodian's email address.
Manage custodians that are associated with a collect job from the Entities tab. For more information, see Entity object. Create entities when setting up custodian targets because they cannot be added when creating a collection job.
Before starting a collection job, make sure the custodians you want to collect from and their associated custodian targets exist in your workspace. The custodian target is what links a custodian to a data source.
Custodian - Robert Johnson
Data Source - Office 365 Outlook Mailbox
Target - firstname.lastname@example.org
This page contains the following information:
Add custodians to Relativity Collect at different times by importing them through Relativity Integration Points or the Relativity Desktop Client. For more information see Importing data through Integration Points or Importing through the RDC. If a custodian does not exist, you can manually add custodians to Collect from the Entities tab. Once you add an entity, it becomes a custodian in Relativity Collect. For more information, see Entity object. To create a new custodian:
- Navigate to the Entities tab.
- Click New Entity on the Custodians tab.
- Select the Collection History layout from the drop down menu and complete the fields. See Fields.
- Click Save.
Note: When creating a custodian from Legal Hold, the Custodians - Legal Hold View is selected by default. If Collection or Processing is also installed in the same workspace, you can view the Custodians - Processing View or Custodians - Collection View accordingly.
The Collection Custodian layout provides the following fields:
- Custodian Type - select one of the following:
- Person - select this to enter first and last name of the individual acting as custodian of the data you wish to process.
- Entity - select this if the custodian of the data you wish to process isn't an individual but is, for example, just a company name. You can also select this if you wish to enter an individual's full name without having that name include a comma once you export the data associated with it. Selecting this changes the Custodian layout to remove the required First Name and Last Name fields and instead presents a required Full Name field.
- First Name - the first name of the custodian. This field is only available if you've set the Custodian Type above to Person.
- Last Name - the last name of the custodian. This field is only available if you've set the Custodian Type above to Person.
- Full Name - the full name of the custodian of the data you wish to process. This field is only available if you've set the Custodian Type above to Entity. When you enter the full name of an entity, that name doesn't contain a comma when you export the data associated with it.
- Email - the primary email address used by the custodian.
You can collect electronic data from custodians who are individuals or entities involved in a legal action or case. You can collect data for custodians from their Office 365 accounts. You may perform multiple collections from a single custodian. On the Custodians tab, you can create and edit custodians as well as view their details, associate them with collections, and perform other tasks.
Creating a custodian target
Use the following procedure to create a custodian target that you can associate with a collection:
- Enter the Name of the custodian target.
- Click the to select available custodians. If the custodian doesn't exist, click Add and complete additional steps.
- Click the Data Source drop-down menu to select a data source. For more information Collection data sources, see Collect Admin.
- Enter the value that identifies the specific data store to be collected in the Target field. For example, enter an email address if collecting from an email data source.
The Target Status tab is a dashboard to see the statuses of collections. You can drill into each target from this dashboard. Able to look into the targets by custodian, data sources, or status to find out more about your collections. Focus on the collected components with this dashboard.
The Target Status dashboard displays the statuses of all targets for all collection jobs in the workspace.
- Not started - the collection is set up, but hasn't been started.
- Started - the collection started and has not completed.
- Completed - the collection of the target completed without any errors.
- Completed with Errors - the collection of the target completed and had individual items that couldn't be collected. For more information, see the Errors report.
- Error - the collection did not run successfully and couldn't collect from the target.