This recipe provides steps to search for dates within Relativity using a filter, a saved search, or a dtSearch.
Applicable to all versions of Relativity.
Types of date searches
You can search for dates in Relativity using three different methods:
- Field filters
- Search for single date or single date range
- Requires metadata
- Saved search
- Search for multiple date or multiple date ranges
- Requires metadata
- dtSearch auto-recognize
- Search for dates within document text and in multiple formats
- Does not require metadata
To search for a date using a field filter, perform the following steps:
- Ensure the date field you want to search for is in the current view. Add it to the view if necessary.
- Turn on filters, and then enter a valid search string in the text box filter.
The following table lists examples of valid date and number searches, as well as the expected result set.
|Valid search strings||Return items where...|
|>= 7/24/2008||[FIELD VALUE] >= '7/24/2008'|
|<= 7/24/2008||[FIELD VALUE] <'7/25/2008'|
|= 7/24/2008||([FIELD VALUE] > '7/23/2008') AND ([FIELD VALUE] <'7/25/2008)|
|>= 07/27/2008 1:23 PM||[FIELD VALUE] >= '07/27/2008 1:23 PM'|
|<= 07/27/2008 1:23 PM||[FIELD VALUE] <= '07/27/2008 1:23 PM'|
|= 07/27/2008 1:23 pm||[FIELD VALUE] = '07/27/2008 1:23 PM'|
|7/24/2008 BETWEEN 8/24/2008||([FIELD VALUE] >= '7/24/2008') AND ([FIELD VALUE] <= '8/24/2008')|
|7/24/2008 1:23 PM BETWEEN 8/24/2008 3:45 PM||([FIELD VALUE] >= '7/24/2008 1:23 PM') AND ([FIELD VALUE] <= '8/24/2008 3:45 PM')|
|07/27/2008||([FIELD VALUE] >= '07/27/2008') AND ([FIELD VALUE] < '7/28/2008')|
|>= 100||[FIELD VALUE] >= '100'|
|<= 100||[FIELD VALUE] <= '100'|
|= 100||[FIELD VALUE] = '100'|
The following table includes examples of invalid data and number search strings.
|Invalid search strings||Invalid reason|
|> 7/24/2008||You must use the equal sign with the greater than operator (as in >=).|
|< 7/24/2008||You must use the equal sign with the less than operator (as in <=).|
|>= 0/24/2008||The search string includes the value 0 for the month.|
|= 0/24/2008||The search string includes the value 0 for the month.|
|0/24/2008 BETWEEN 8/24/2008||The search string includes the value 0 for the month in the starting date.|
|7/24/2008 BETWEEN 0/24/2008||The search string includes the value 0 for the month in the ending date.|
To search for a date in Relativity using a saved search, perform the following steps:
- Create a saved search.
- Select the date field you want to search for in the Conditions section.
You can set additional conditions to search for non-consecutive dates, including non-consecutive date ranges.
Some cases require you to search for dates contained within the text of a document. Because dates can appear in various formats, the auto-recognize feature in dtSearch is useful.
To use this feature, build a new dtSearch index with Auto-recognize date, email, and credit card numbers set to Yes. Once the index is complete and active, you can search for dates within the text of a document.
The auto-recognize feature searches for strings that appear to be dates. It uses English-language months, including common abbreviations, and numerical formats. For example, dtSearch recognizes the following date formats:
- January 15, 2006
- 15 Jan 06
- The fifteenth of January, two thousand six
It doesn't recognize DD/MM/YYYY format.
Note the following date and date range search strings:
- To search for a date, enter a date expression between the parentheses in the string "date()"; for example, date(jan 10 2006)
- To search for range of dates, enter a date range between the parentheses in the string "date()"; for example, date(jan 10 2006 to jan 20 2006)
- To search for a range of dates near the word apple, enter date(jan 10 2006 to jan 20 2006) w/10 apple
- dtSearch doesn't support unterminated date. To search for any date after or before a particular date, enter a bounded range with a maximum or minimum value for the bounds. The maximum value for a year is 2900, and the minimum value is 1000. For example, DateField contains date(jan 10 2006 to jan 1 2900)
- By default, date fields use the filter type of text box. However, you can change this to custom in the field information.
- If you need more complexity than the text box filter type can provide, you can set up a saved search.